Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I'm from Texas, y'all


Indeed I am, even if it was just the suburbs.  I spent most of my life growing up there, including two years of college.  Then I come here, to NYC - one of the most urban cities of all cities.  Generic conversation when meeting someone new in the NYC almost always includes
"So where are you from?"

in which I reply with
"I'm from Texas."

Often, the response to my declaration is a face of shock and uncertainty.  If I had to guess at what they were thinking, it would be something along the lines of
"Oh man, it was a mistake talking to this guy"
or
"he's got to be kidding..."

Then the next line of the conversation goes as follows:
"But you don't have an accent..."

And that concludes my conversation containing the subject of where I'm from.  At this point, I'm used to it and try to throw in some clever responses but initially it irritated me.  To add to the Texas thing, I currently reside in Staten Island as stated in the previous post.  I had a conversation with my sister about telling people how we're from Staten Island and she just tells people she's from Hoboken (her boyfriend's residence).


I also visited Hong Kong, England, and France when I was single-digit-years old.  Unfortunately, since I was young and ignorant, I did not notice any extraordinary habits.

Just for the record, there's nothing wrong with "y'all."  Synonyms would be "you guys" and the obvious "you all."  "Y'all" is second nature to me.
By the way, people from New Jersey pronounce "water" like "w-oh-tter" and they don't realize it.  I laugh at y'all that say water funny.

The Internet is also a big topic with culture.  Playing games on the Internet, there is frequent trash-talking and often through the names they use, they have a small prefix or suffix hinting at where they are from (example being "Coolgamername.QC" = from Canada).  Also, with voice support in games over the Internet (VoIP) it is very easy to distinguish what race they are whether they speak a language other than English or have a strong accent.  All sorts of horrible things arise from this, since the Internet + anonymity = huge jerk.  When other agitated people learn that my group of friends and I are from America, I hear a LOT (emphasis on LOT) of "fat American pigs."  Apparently that is what gamers outside of America think of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment